Spinney Abbey was built by Mary de Bassingbourne and Beatrix Malebise for Augustinian Friars in 1217. The new farm house was built in 1775. The cellar of the original priory still survives below. In it the great stones of the medieval masons are seen, along with some iron fittings which have perhaps inevitably gained the reputation of being the remains of medieval monk chains. Other older parts are incorporated into the building – some of the old priory doors, for example.
In 1892 Thomas Fuller brought his family from Padney near Wicken, where the Fullers had been farming since at least 1695, to farm at Spinney Abbey . By 1918 the freehold was in the family, and has remained there ever since with various changes to the farm boundaries. In 1900 the farm was a mixed, mainly arable farm.
After being a successful dairy farm run by Robert Fuller for over 40 years, it was time for a change at Spinney. The farm is now run by Robert’s son, Jonathan Fuller and the decision was taken to rear a traditional beef herd of English Longhorn cattle.
The Longhorn breed was chosen due to its hardiness, docile nature and the excellent quality of beef that is produced. Spinney Abbey Farm prides itself on the quality of its grazing land The rich fenland soil results in land that does not require fertiliser. We added Gloucester Old Spots pigs to the farm in 2005, where they live in large paddocks and kept in
Our opening hours are Tuesday- Saturday 9-3.
35 Stretham Road
T: 07803 132561